Phoenix Sports Reserves 1-1 Stansfeld

Phoenix Sports Reserves 1-1 Stansfeld

By Dean Sawyer
21st February
Share via

SCEFL First Division

Phoenix Sports Reserves put together an excellent performance to earn a point against a tough and rugged Stansfeld side at the Mayplace Ground.

The visitors started best and deserved to take the lead in the 25th minute although it did come in slightly bizarre fashion.
A cross from the wing by Frankie Beale was overhit and skewed but by luck it ended up going high over Martin Grant before being bundled over the line by the veteran Billy Shinners.
From then on Phoenix settled and got used to the direct and physical play from Stansfeld. The back five held firm under pressure and the running of Donaldson and Jeannoel caused constant issues for the aging defence.
It was Donaldson that then earned and scored the equalising goal minutes after seeing his own effort come back off the post.
Donaldson was fouled by our former player Joe Smith leaving the referee to make the right decision. Our striker then dispatched the penalty to bring the game level.

The second half was dominated by the hosts who, on numerous times, used their pace to get past the Stansfeld backline. However the finishing was wayward and the game was to end level.

A good showing by our lads, using a new formation. That point could be vital as we enter the business end of the season.

Online Programme here online here


First Division Results
Erith & Belvedere 4-0 Bridon Ropes
FC Elmstead 3-0 Lewisham Borough
Forest Hill Park 1-1 Greenways
Meridian VP 1-7 Sutton Athletic
Phoenix Sports Res. 1-1 Stansfeld
Snodland Town 2-3 Kent Football United
Welling Town 1-0 Rochester United

We were promised goals at Park View Road and thankfully we got 4 of them but Erith & Belvedere were in no mood to share as they claimed them all to take the points against one of their promotion rivals in Bridon Ropes. It was a club record 14th game unbeaten for the 'Deres' with the last 8 being wins while Dan Teeley was deserving of his 5th consecutive clean sheet after performing superbly in goal to keep the lethal 'Ropes' attack out all afternoon. Harry Harding also continues to break records by getting 2 more to add to the 27 other League goals he has scored so far while Ramell Lake and Guyliano Mpungi also found the back of the net today. Erith & Belvedere are now in 4th place with multiple games in hand over the teams above. Sutton Athletic were the top scorers of the day as they beat Meridian VP 7-1 to move up to 3rd place in the table. Arlie Desanges hit 4 of them alongside finishes from James Sutherland, Conor Evans and Eli Graham as Sutton dumped their hosts back into the danger zone. Rochester United remain bottom however but will feel unfortunate to have left Bayliss Avenue empty handed. This top v bottom match-up may have been expected to have been a one way affair but it was anything but that as the visitors took it to Welling Town from the opening whistle. Ultimately they fell short though as with the game heading for deadlock Ryan Golding found a way to get his name on the scoresheet and earn his side the 3 points that see them move 7 points clear at the top.
The new manager brought a change of result as Ennio Gonnella's first game in charge ended in a first win in 11 games for his new team FC Elmstead at home to Lewisham Borough. All of the goals in the 3-0 home win came in the second half as Alvin Turyatemba, Victor Okisor and Dom Weston all netted to earn their side a much-needed win and a move to 13th place. One place below, but on the same points are Kent Football United after they returned from Snodland Town with the win on an emotional day for the Dartford-based side. Mourning the loss this week of Jordan Dawes, their popular ladies team's goalkeeper, KFU were inspired to end a 3-game losing run when getting a last minute winner at Potyn's Field. Goals from Chris Round and Lewis Longhurst saw the visitors race into a 2-goal lead before Jack Mayhew and Ollie Freeman scored to bring the game level. But there was only going to be one winner on a day like this and when Captain Ahmed Deen scored a 90th minute free-kick to earn the win you had to wonder if someone was looking on and lending that helping hand.
The points were shared in an entertaining draw at the Mayplace Ground with Phoenix Sports Reserves coming from behind to draw 1-1 with Stansfeld. The visitors started strongest and took the lead when a deep Frankie Beale cross was headed in at the far post by Billy Shinners on 25 minutes. Phoenix quickly got back in it though from the penalty spot when Liam Donaldson picked himself up to score the equaliser and earn his side a deserved point. It was the same result at the Ladywell Arena as Greenways continued their mini-revival by remaining unbeaten for the 4th game running. Kameiko Pope-Campbell had fired Forest Hill Park ahead in the 17th minute and for much of the game it looked like they would hold on to the win until Brad Cross rose to head home an Aaron Kleman free-kick with 5 minutes left meaning the sides left with a point a-piece.

Share via